Biblically Focused Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
42 Credit Hours
The Biblically Focused Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program is completed entirely online using distance education methods. It is designed to develop the doctoral candidate’s ability to summarize, synthesize, conceptualize, formulate, and evaluate within academic research parameters.
The learner will draw from personal and professional experience in partnership with in-depth, scholarly investigation. The learner will develop skill in critical, reflective thinking while conducting academic research. The successful doctoral candidate will demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge and understanding of inquiry and research methods by completing a scholarly, publishable dissertation.
The Biblically Focused Doctor of Philosophy Study Plan
1. Online Orientation MOR is a 2 credit course designed to prepare the student for completing an online degree program.
2. Four Focus Courses (12 credit hours) in the chosen concentration area. These courses must focus in one of four areas:
• Four courses in Biblical Counseling*
• Four courses in Biblical Studies
• Four courses in Pastoral Ministry
• Four courses in Theology
3. ARW-701 – Advanced Research and Writing Course (2 credit hours)
4. Professional Anthology (12 credit hours) demonstrated by the evaluative completion of an Academic Professional Ministry Analysis project of life-long learning and specialized achievement in the learner’s professional field. The Professional Anthology Study Guide gives complete details on designing this evaluative document.
5. Dissertation (12 credit hours) of no less than one hundred twenty five pages of focused content within the study area designed per acceptable
scholarly standards and reviewed by the appointed Dissertation Committee.
The Dissertation Project involves six submissions. The first four submissions are under the direction of a Dissertation Advisor. The appointed Dissertation Committee evaluates the last two submissions.
The Doctoral Dissertation Study Guide gives complete details on constructing this document.
• Submission One: The Topic Proposal;
• Submission Two: The Academic Abstract;
• Submission Three: Preliminary Outline , Chapter One
and Preliminary Bibliography;
• Submission Four: The Critical Literature Review Chapter;
• Submission Five: The Rough Draft;
• Submission Six: The Final Draft.
6. Oral Defense. The oral defense takes place during an online meeting with the degree candidate and the Dissertation Committee.
7. Submission of the dissertation for printing.
8. Program Summary (2 Credit Hours) demonstrated by a critical summation and synthesis of the student’s study program validating the student’s ability to put elements together to form a coherent or functional whole while integrating knowledge and understanding in the operational Christian worldview. This is designed to demonstrate the student’s ability to make judgments based on criteria and standards by checking and critiquing. The Program Summary Study Guide gives complete details on crafting this document.
The MTRI Ph.D. program is designed for the independent minded person with a strong desire to improve personal skills, and self-discipline through a guided program of study. It is most appropriate for individuals who wish to expand their knowledge base for greater effectiveness in their current area of ministry.
*Biblical counseling courses and degrees approved by:
The Association of Certified Biblical Counselors
The International Association of Biblical Counselors
Investment Costs for the
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY*
|Cost to Start - $250|
|Monthly Payment - $107.83 - no interest or carrying charges|
|Standard Tuition - $6,470|
|Cost of Books - Discounted through our own online bookstore.|
|Dissertation Fee - $300 | Dissertation Binding Fee - $35/$50|
|Standard Graduation Fee - $250 - paid prior to graduation.|
*Costs may vary due to individual requirements or preferences.
UNIVERSITY of Divinity
Indiana Administrative Offices
520 Kimber Lane
Evansville, IN 47716-5009
Postal Mailing Address
PO Box 5009
Evansville, IN 47716-5009
and Event Center
5995 N Wickham Rd
Melbourne, FL 32940
Toll Free: 1-800-933-1445
In the United Kingdom